It has been a long and arduous campaign season. I am hopeful and prayerful that everything ends peacefully. We have been through so much. Another bloodshed and reign of terror would be disastrous.
This election is different to me. It happens to be the one election where I’m not emotionally invested. Of course I have a candidate I intend to vote for in each of the positions being contested. It’s just that I won’t feel so bad if any of the candidates I vote for loses. This is because I would take it as the will of ALLAH. After all, Allah says in Quran 3:26 that he is the owner of all sovereignty and He gives sovereignty to whomever He wants. With this mind-set, I know the winner of the election is set in stone and that I only have to participate by voting and leaving the rest to the Almighty.
This brings me to the major point I would like to pass across. In Nigeria, there is no reason for political enmity. There is no point to cut off ties with family and friends due to a politician or a political party. They are all there for themselves. Everyone has a selfish interest. Your family is your blood and you can’t replace them. Also, your friends have a niche in your life and it would be a loss to lose them due to selfish politics.
I implore us all to think deeply and understand the situation. In Nigeria, politicians don’t have ideologies. They just want to rule by all means. This is the reason a politician would decamp to a different political party if his party refuses him the opportunity to contest a position under their platform. If political parties like PDP and APC all had ideologies, what they stand for, changing political party would amount to changing belief systems and it won’t be as frequent as encountered in our system. Unfortunately, political parties are just means to an end. In advanced democracies, parties have a general ideology and people with similar believes join the same party. That doesn’t obtain here.
Why then do we fight because of political parties and unscrupulous politicians? Allow your friends and family to make their choice. The majority win. That’s democracy. But some resort to violence just to make their point. Human lives matter. In the end, only the masses lose out and the politicians keep associating with one another and living comfortable lives.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
I have been following the currently airing kdrama ‘Extraordinary You’ and it’s making me ask myself some tough questions. The drama is abo...
-
Alhamdulillah. Alhamdulillah. Alhamdulillah. This February has been my most successful month in recent times. I was productive throughout t...
-
I have found that it is extremely difficult to maintain the same high spiritual commitment at all times. This is because iman rises and fall...
No comments:
Post a Comment