Saturday, 24 August 2019

ONE OF MY MOST FRIGHTENING MOMENTS



During the last Ramadhan, I prayed my taraweeh and tahajjud at Al-Furqan Masjid close to where I stay. I was staying at the NYSC quarters of the hospital I was posted to. Security at hospitals is normally tight. Due to that, I encountered challenges while going out for tahajjud just after midnight. My solution to the peculiar problem was to accompany my next-door neighbour who works at the hospital and owns a bike. All the security personnel knew him and I had no problem tagging along on his bike.
On this fateful day, I was late and so my get out free card had to leave alone. I was left to my own devices. I got myself ready and moved to the masjid. I was walking so fast, I greeted the security agents at the gate and swiftly walked to the masjid. After walking a few paces, I discovered that I was being followed. I was panicking. I almost urinated on myself. I was praying desperately to the Almighty, to save me. I was further stressed out when I saw them tailing me using a tricycle. I also heard one of them shouting ‘zai gudu’. At that moment, I knew that only Allah could save me. I was thinking of losing my valuables. I began to deride myself for coming out with my phone and wallet. I began fearing for my life. I kept praying all the same, believing that only Allah could be of aid in this situation and firmly believing that I would be saved.
I suddenly made a decision to stop and wait for them. Come on, they were on a tricycle, there was no way I could lose them. I waited for them to catch up to me. Upon their arrival, I discovered that they were the security agents that I greeted at the gate. They asked me to identify myself. I explained to them that I was a Corp member serving in the hospital. They quizzed me further and insisted I showed them my identity card. Fortunately, I came out with my wallet that contained my wallet. I brought it out and showed it to them and at last I was cleared. They admonished me to stop walking too fast especially at night, that it made me look suspicious. I thanked them politely and continued on my way to the masjid.
I arrived at the masjid a bit late and almost missed the first rak’at even though the imam recited a 'nisf’. I joined the salah and kept thanking Allah for helping me survive one of the most frightening and terrifying moments in my relatively boring life.
When I look back to that day, I thank Allah that my faith in Allah never faltered as I thought I was facing a certain demise. In that moment, I knew that only Allah could save me and that Allah could have decided that that was the way I will exit this world. I also remembered that my mum has severally warned me to stop walking too fast and I stubbornly refused to listen. To be fair to myself, I tried but I was unable to reduce my walking pace especially while working alone. How lucky was I to survive.
I always try to keep my faith and reduce my sins. I try to keep a connection with the words of the Almighty, so as to boost my faith. I also try to minimise my sins, something easier said than done.
May Allah ease our affairs and guide us onto the right path. Ameen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HOW I WOULD LOVE TO DIE