Sunday, 19 January 2020

DEATH: THE DESTROYER OF PLEASURES


In my childhood, I was a loner. I’m still a loner by the way. Being alone gave me ample thinking time. I reflected on so many things right from my primary school days. I remember thinking about our individuality and how each person only has the opportunity to be one person and never another. ‘What made me different from my dad or my siblings, my immediate family?’ I was me and my dad was my dad, just like my brother was himself alone. I reflected on the possibility of being and living other people’s lives and marvelled at the impossibility, all at a tender age of twelve.
Even today as a Corper who is looking at passing out in a few weeks, I think a lot. I have grown to understand the necessity of hanging out with other people and making friends but I still cherish my alone time, the time I utilise to reflect on my life choices.
I find death a good motivator to do good. Anytime I am tempted to do one or two bad things, particularly things that could result in harm to others, I try to remember that I will die someday and I wouldn’t want to be remembered as an evil person in the minds of the people I wronged. Most times I succeed in stopping myself this way. I have faith in humanity and I believe there’s goodness in us or at least the potential to do good.
My hope is for us all to remember that even if we live the longest in the world death is the only certain end waiting for us. This will enable us decide the kind of legacy we would like to leave after our eventual demise. With this in mind, things like killing and robbery wont even cross our minds. Thefts, scamming others, looting, kidnappings and other evils will not be committed by people who reflect on the fact that they would die, even if they don’t believe in a Creator.
Personally, as a man of faith I follow the dictates of my religion which frowns upon all the above listed and promises a severe punishment for people who engage in them in the hereafter. I understand that faith is a choice so I try to use reason to make a case for us reflecting on death to reduce our crimes, I emphasise the crimes or sins that have victims. Those that cause apparent harm to others. These must be avoided by all means. These include the problems we’re battling with in the country ranging from kidnapping to robbery, and so many other vices.
I have the believe that education can change a nation. As a result, it pains me when I see educated people behaving irrationally and doing harm to others without regards for how posterity will see them. I believe there are lessons in death that would make us behave and live better lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HOW I WOULD LOVE TO DIE