Saturday, 30 November 2019

HOW EMPTY PROMISES MADE MY SERVICE YEAR HARDER



            
As I entered the gate of NYSC orientation camp in Kusala Dam, Karaye, Kano, on the 27th of March, 2019, I recalled my conversation with my brother, who had just concluded his national service a few weeks earlier, telling me how lucky I was to begin my national service at a time the Federal Government had agreed to an increase in minimum wage from 18,000 to 30,000. This translates to an increased Corper’s allowance to a little above 30,000. Most of our friends pegged the new allowance (allowee as Corper’s say) at 31,800. As I entered the camp, I was almost certain I would receive 31,800 monthly and I started making my budget with that amount in mind. I was that gullible. I know.
Imagine my shock when it was time to collect the first allowance in camp! I joined the queue expecting at least 30,000 and I was given 19,800. At that time, I was eating at mami market because I was so sure I would cover up the deficit with the extra 12,000 (i.e. new allowee of 31,800 from 19,800). I was so wrong. I however, consoled myself by telling myself that once we receive the next months’ allowance through our bank accounts, FG would make good on their promise. It was on that note that upon leaving camp, I went to the market and bought big gifts for my parents and siblings. The shock I received in April was devastating. The second month was skipped and we weren’t paid. At that moment, I was broke and I would have happily accepted the 19,800. I was that broke, having used up my last cash in anticipation of the reviewed allowee.
As I settled fully into the service year, it wasn’t easy. I was strapped of cash. I was eagerly waiting for the month of May to end. I was foolishly awaiting the 31,800. Well, to be honest, I was too broke to even care. I was okay with receiving any amount at that stage. My situation was that bad. As I saw the credit alert for the month of May, I was so elated. It was after the initial excitement had died down that I began to lament the fact that the allowee had remained the same. As the months went by, I began to be more realistic and managed my expectations. I still however, hoped that FG will make good on their promise to review the allowance.
As I spent more time in Kano, I understood that I needed to look out for myself to keep body and soul together. I took on extra jobs to augment my income. As the saying goes, no food for a lazy man. The economy was hard. I could no longer wait for the promised allowee as the longer it took, the less likely it became. At the moment, I am of the opinion that I may finish my national service before the new allowance is implemented, after all, that of the civil servants has not been implemented.
The hard economic situation and the current nature of the NYSC scheme are good arguments for the increment in corps members’ monthly allowance. It is left to the relevant stakeholders to do the needful. The empty promises and the media hype made my service year more difficult as I kept expecting the increased allowance month after month. I have since made my peace with it. I believe tough times never last but tough people do. This experience made me stronger and tougher.
I’ll say the increment of allowee cannot ultimately be referred to as a faux because eventually, the increased allowee will be paid. The question that remains is who will receive the new increased allowee? Will arrears be paid? These are the salient questions. It is looking like 2019 Batch A corps members would have been discharged from national service before the new allowee is implemented. The increment may be real on paper, but it is definitely faux at the moment to the serving corps members. We earnestly hope that the difficulties faced by corps members as a result of the hard living conditions in the country is considered and the new allowee is paid as soon as possible. If the government can increase the allowee further, that would definitely be welcomed.

1 comment:

  1. Update:
    About two months after this post, I received my January allowee and to my pleasant surprise, it was the promised 33,000 naira. I can definitely testify that the govenrnment made due on its promise regarding the allowance increment in line with the minimum wage, even though it took a while.

    ReplyDelete

HOW I WOULD LOVE TO DIE