I had my
POP on the 5th of March, 2020. A day after, I went to Katsina for a
friend’s wedding. I returned the same day and on Sunday, I went for a reunion
with my secondary school mates living in Kano and I must confess that it was a blast.
On Monday,
the 9th March, 2020, I returned to Kaduna triumphantly, having successfully
concluded my one-year national service. I was happy and elated that I was successful
but my happiness was dampened by the realisation that I am officially in the
labour market and the labour market is an unpleasant space. My situation is further
compounded by the fact that I don’t have a prior contract with my state unlike
most of my colleagues.
In any
case, I am not one to shy away or be depressed by life’s situations. I resolved
to do my best to make sure I come out on top. I decided to start submitting job
applications and utilise the time I have to achieve something magnificent. Then,
survival became more important and everything else didn’t matter.
In a
shocking twist, on 27th February, 2020, without warning, the country
had its first case of COVID-19 (the dreaded corona virus disease) and at the
moment, we have 97 confirmed cases in the country. This triggered a lockdown in
certain states in the country, including our dear Kaduna state. With the online
and media frenzy buzzing around, people feel their lives flashing before their
eyes. I personally have given thought to some of my life choices and I have made
resolves to make better choices, all thanks to the virus.
Our
state is on a lockdown. Movement has been restricted. Places of worship have
been closed down and we are in a spiritual dilemma. I am a man of faith and
this disease has shaken me beyond description. I have the believe that praying
in congregation helps increase my faith and I find my faith diminishing due to
praying alone at home. I understand that the measures taken are necessary but I
am sad and disturbed all the same. My consolation is the realisation that
things happen for a reason and that this is definitely a test from the Almighty,
one I intend to pass.
My heart
is always attached to the haramain. I watch all five daily prayers on YouTube
and I am familiar with all the imams in the haramain. Imagine my grief and sorrow
when I heard that the haramain has been closed to worshippers. I listened to
sheikh Sudais’ announcement regarding the closure of the masjids and the
measures taken to limit the spread of COVID-19 and I had mixed feelings. The measures
are necessary and practical but sad at the same time. My consolation was the fact
that even though dawaf and umrah had been suspended, the five daily prayers still
hold and I still watch. I pray for the day Allah will grant me the ability to visit
the holy lands. On a separate note, having followed the happenings in the Haramain
for several years, I am particularly drawn to the personality of the President
of the Haramain. He is one of my best people in the world at the moment. Of course,
it helps that he has a melodious recitation.
To those
with the believe that the virus is a conspiracy or that it doesn’t exist, my
call is that they should rethink their stance and obey the authorities. This would
make it easier for us to contain the spread of the virus before it reaches the
devastating scale that advanced countries like USA, Italy, Spain and the UK are
experiencing. A stitch in time, they say, saves nine.
My prayer
is that this COVID-19 situation resolves in the near future and life returns to
normal at the soonest. I am hopeful that we would learn from the lessons and be
more thankful to the Almighty for all the normal and regular things we take for
granted. I for one have done some deep introspection and in sha Allah, I would
come out of this, a better person. A more thankful person. A more contented
person.
No comments:
Post a Comment